- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:30 – Intro
- 3:00 – This Week’s Beer – Graham Cracker Porter
- 8:17 – Round Table
- 16:03 – HL1 – Knee Deep In The Goop
- 25:45 – HL2 – Send Us Money 4 Jesus!
- 35:48 – Flight Schoolz
- 43:25 – You Go Dave!
- 52:21 – Next Week’s Beer – Bud Light & Clamato Chelada
- 56:45 – Faith In Humanity Restored
- 59:44 – Outro – Thanks 4 Listening
- 1:00:26 – Outtakes
In this week’s show, episode 138, NASA asks French televangelists to pray for the lift-off of it’s newest cola powered rocket, La Fausse Mouche!
Now, grab a beer and help us test the god hypothesis — because, while Proteus (Greek Old Man of the Sea) hasn’t struck us down yet, we are trying his patience!
Shea’s Life Lesson
This week I learned that it’s not PC to call someone a tweaker. They are ‘Methican American.’
Jim’s Good Gay News
Um…I’m having a hard time with good news this week. Instead, I have a public service announcement. We’re recording on National HIV Testing Day. Go get tested and know your status!
But before we get to all that, let’s have a beer!
This Week’s Beer
Graham Cracker Porter | Denver Beer Co
- Ba Link: http://bit.ly/2sMlq7u
- BA Score: 85
- ABV: 5.8%
- Style: American Porter
- Aaron: 7
- Jim: 3
- Shea: 2
- Steve: 8
This Week’s Show
Round Table Discussion
Great show! Love you guys! 5 Stars By: Pastor Timothy (Australia)
Big love from Australia. Keep it up. Ps. Timothy
No new drunk dials this week, and drunk dials really stroke (hehe) our egos
Email We received an email from a listener, Chayne:
I freaking love you guys. I listen to you guys on my way from work every Friday and always look forward to it. Keep doing what you’re doing because it works. My state got mentioned last week, good ole ass-backwards Tennessee, where people fly the American and Confederate flag side by side because these bastards are too stupid to see the irony. And speaking of Tennessee, if you guys ever get a beer from Yee-Haw Brewery don’t even waste time trying it, pretty sure you could strip paint with it.
Also, Shane, your mom got that spelling because of all the wonderful drugs that go into childbirth now ;)
This week’s roundtable was a bit short! But you can help fix that by giving us an iTunes review, becoming a patron at http://patreon.com/w4w or by contacting the show through all the usual socials linked in the show notes!
We do want to mention that we still have shirts, hoodies, and other great schwag on our store at waiting4wrath.com with more great stuff on the way! So make sure you check that out. We’re also getting ready to record another episode of 4 More Beers for the upcoming weeks so this is a great time to join our Beer Club and have your reviews read on the air. Speaking of the Beer Club, some of you aren’t listed on our website’s Friends of the Show page — remember, that’s an opt-in only honor so if you want to see your smiling face (or avatar) on waiting4wrath.com let us know!
Finally, Jim has joined us again and what better way to say thank you than checking out WyoAIDS.org!
Jim, what have you been up to?
Atheism 101 with Matt & Tim
After this great drinking birthday weekend, I’m glad I can recover with Gwyneth Paltrow. http://bit.ly/2tvkLLc
- Paltrow’s lifestyle website Goop is now peddling a product called Body Vibes, wearable stickers that purport to “promote healing” and “rebalance the energy frequency in our bodies.”
- These stickers, which cost $60 for a pack of 10, will allegedly work magic on your body, including reducing inflammation, “boosting cell turnover,” and “smoothing out both physical tension and anxiety.”
- The aestheticians (beauty care specialists) who invented the Body Vibes stickers claim their products are made with “the same conductive carbon material NASA uses to line space suits so they can monitor an astronaut’s vitals during wear.” This special technology uses “bio-frequency that resonates with the body’s natural energy field.”
- NASA told Paoletta that spacesuits “do not have any conductive carbon material lining the spacesuits.” A former chief NASA scientist added, “What a load of BS this is.”
- Actual Testimonials
- These are real conversation starters!
- When I wear my anti-anxiety sticker I’m not anxious!
- Unicorn Skin calms down my skin because I travel a lot.
- Recommended by professionals like Mia Moretti the famous DJ Fashion Muse, Kelsey Fafase Beauty Expert, Christine Dionese integrative food therapist… these are real people with real made up jobs who know real science when they see it!
- This is SCIENCE!
- If you can’t trust stickers maybe a $200 box of crap will make you feel better! http://bit.ly/2tvwVUq
Once again an upstanding pastor, evangelist, television host, author, humanitarian, philanthropist, a businessman is being dragged through the mud! http://n.pr/2tvMMSN?
- North Carolina televangelist Todd Coontz – author of numerous books on faith and finances – has been indicted on charges of tax fraud spanning more than a decade.
- “As a minister, Coontz preached about receiving and managing wealth, yet he failed to keep his own finances in order,” Jill Westmoreland Rose, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina, said as she announced the charges. “Coontz will now receive a first-hand lesson in ‘rendering unto Caesar’ that which is due.” The charges include three counts of failure to pay tax, each carrying a maximum federal prison term of one year, and four counts of aiding and assisting in filing false tax returns, each carrying a maximum term of three years.
- The televangelist “promised financial miracles for people who sent money to his ministry,” according to Channel 9 WSOCTV of Charlotte, N.C. The news station recounts some examples of his claims:
- ” ‘You need to plant the $273 recovery seed. I’m only going to give you two to three minutes to respond,’ Coontz once told his viewers.
- “Coontz posted videos on Twitter as recently as Wednesday, promising financial blessings to the faithful.
- ” ‘Suddenly miracles are happening. I want to work with your faith for quick things, swift things,’ Coontz said in the video.”
- Coontz’s attorney Mark Foster said in a statement “Todd Coontz has always endeavored to follow the law and to be a good citizen, father, and minister. He trusted others to manage his finances and taxes for him and was shocked to find out he was under criminal investigation by the IRS.”
- He also allegedly purchased the following vehicles through his corporations or ministry: “a 2011 BMW, a 2011 Regal 2500 boat, a 2012 BMW convertible, a 2011 Lexus, a 2011 Land Rover, a 2006 Ferrari, a 2012 Maserati, a 2013 BMW, a 2013 Land Rover, and a 2012 Ferrari.” It adds that his ministry purchased a $1.5 million condominium. His corporations also deducted as business expenses more than $200,000 for clothing purchases and tens of thousands of dollars for meals and entertainment.
This Week’s Stories
Prayer, Avionics and things you don’t want to hear a pilot say… http://bit.ly/2tveyyM
- After 90 minutes in the air, 359 passengers aboard an AirAsiaX flight Sunday felt a small explosion from the left wing before it proceeded to shake “like a washing machine” for the next two hours.
- Multiple videos were taken aboard the flight from Perth, Australia to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, showing the violent shaking and the passengers reactions. One video was posted to Instagram with the caption, “I thought I might die.”
“Our survival depends on you cooperating. Hopefully, everything will turn out for the best,” said the pilot in a mid-air announcement. Passengers also reported that the pilot twice asked for them to “please pray.”
- The flight landed safely there while passengers still brave enough to fly waited hours for another flight and were offered a $20 voucher, according to the 7 News Brisbane.
Steve’s Story – http://argusne.ws/2tvC4Mj
Profile of Dale Hemming. The man behind Sioux Falls, SD’s Feminist, Atheist, Thinker’s billboards.
For about the past three years, a bunch of billboards around Sioux Falls that speak out in a way that we rarely see in this country. They espouse that the reader thinks, and think about topics that we as skeptics and freethinkers can appreciate. The billboard campaign sends readers to several different websites,
like Sioux Falls Free Thinkers, Sioux Falls Atheists, Sioux Falls Scientists, Sioux Falls Zoologists, and Sioux Falls Feminists
Messages such as Sioux Falls Feminists Domestic Abuse Looks Like This! You NEVER deserve Domestic Abuse! You Are Not Alone! Help’s at SiouxFallsFeminist.com. (with a picture of a child or woman, cowering in a corner)
Sioux Falls Atheists Millions Are Good
Without God! 98 Million Americans Are Living Happily Without Religion! Being A Good Person Does Not Require A God! Join Us! SiouxFallsAtheists.com
Evolution Is A Fact! The Earth Is Over 4 Billion Years Old! Those Who Think It Is Only 6,000 Years Old Are Still In The Dark Ages! SiouxFallsScientists.com
The man behind this campaign is a 73-year-old retiree named Dale Hemming. Hemming spent a career working for Graco, Inc. where he patented five inventions, and during his time at Graco, he always held onto his stock each time it split. By the time he retired, he had accumulated some wealth and now he’s spending his money to educate people about the topics he believes in.
According to an interview on unitedcor.org – United Coalition of Reason’s website: http://bit.ly/2tvpwV6
Hemming became an atheist in 1965, “when I was 21 in college when I read the works of Ayn Rand, which convinced me there was no God even though I rejected the rest of her philosophy.”
“I became a feminist in 1960 in junior high school, arguing against the sexual double standard (boys were supposed to have sex with any girl they could, and “good” girls were never supposed to have sex before marriage, only “bad” girls did), which made me unpopular with both the boys and the girls at that time.”
While volunteering at Women’s Advocates in St. Paul starting in 2002, he saw first hand the damage caused by domestic violence and child abuse.
While not formally partnered with any major interest groups similar to his own, he sees his campaign as a way to keep busy and use his money in a positive way vs buying cars or vacations. He has no children to support and twice divorced and no other close family, so this is his way of reaching out and spending his retirement time.
He drives a compact that could belong to any college student in the city, were it not for the car-top sign announcing that “Child sex abuse is never your fault” and offering help at his Sioux Falls Feminists website.
“I’ve got nothing else to do with my time, I might as well try and educate people,” Hemming said.
What do you deserve to die for? – http://bit.ly/2tvwfyq
The generic word God is used for all deity names, and names of places or people have been replaced with generic terms. How well do you know your Torah, Bible, or Quran and Hadith? Can you tell which is which? Give it a try and then check the key at the bottom.
Next Week’s Beer
Bud Light & Clamato Chelada – Anheuser-Busch
From fan, twitterer, and all around awesome person @CraigDeFarmer
- BA Link: http://bit.ly/2tvCbrd
- BA Rating: 49
- Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer
- ABV: 4.2%
Faith In Humanity Restored
Mickey Minnie Mouse Sign Love Deaf Boy Disneyland – https://yhoo.it/2u4OlEx
Cognitive Disabilities Services – http://bit.ly/2u4Zmpm
Bonus Cat Video
“Marvel’s Spider-Man” Origin Short #1 – http://bit.ly/2u52wJH
Inhumans – http://bit.ly/2u4OpnL
Goose Island Beer Collabs with S U R V I V E – http://bit.ly/2u52×0d
Join The Discussion
We’d love to hear from you!
To comment on a show or suggest a brew visit our web, Twitter or Facebook pages. As always, we’d love to get a good rating on iTunes or Stitcher!